GreenCitizen was created to make sure electronic waste is not shipped overseas or dumped in landfills. Several electronic recycling companies only recycle high value electronics, reselling them for a profit, before shipping the remaining low-value items overseas, where they are dumped in landfills and affect the environment and human health.
At GreenCitizen, we accept anything that plugs in or runs on battery, regardless of it’s potential value. We fix up and donate or resell any item that is reusable. 31% of the items we collect are fixed up and reused. We recycle the other 69% of items in partnership with R-2 and E-steward certified recyclers within 150 miles of San Francisco. GreenCitizen does not ship items overseas, and items we collect do not end up in landfills. We recycle these items at a loss, but it is this economic sacrifice that allows us to divert thousands of pounds of electronics from entering landfills every day. This environmental commitment has earned us the distinction of a For-Benefit Corporation.
At GreenCitizen, we take transparency and accountability very seriously putting our company’s reputation on the line to ensure they are either reused or broken down for their raw materials locally and responsibly. By recycling locally, GreenCitizen reduces the amount of pollution associated with transporting electronics for recycling. And by working with only E-Steward or R2 certified electronics recycling partners, we know that the materials we collect will be reused in the creation of new products, increasing the supply of raw materials and reducing our reliance on mining for new materials.
You can drop your items off at any of our locations, or we can collect your electronics directly from your office. So, to summarize, our services are convenient, accountable and environmentally beneficial. Why GreenCitizen? Really, the question should be, why recycle anywhere else?
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!